Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Ain't Nuthin' Simple!

Laura had an appointment at Emory this morning. They received TONS of information.
Here's what I know:
  • She will start a totally different kind of chemo on Monday in Albany. That chemo will be for 10 days, once a month until they find a bone marrow donor. I'm not sure if it will be in-patient or out-patient.
  • She will need to be in the best possible physical and emotional condition in order to receive the bone marrow. Same is true of the donor.
  • This bone marrow transplant is the only way to get rid of the leukemia.
  • The donor will need to be at Emory for the transplant and the transplant will take place right after the donation has been made.
  • The doctor is very optimistic that they will find a donor.
  • A week before the transplant, Laura will receive an intense round of chemo -- which will kill all of her immune system. She will remain in the hospital for 2-3 weeks after the transplant has taken place so that they can monitor her closely.
  • Evidently, the period after the transplant can be very unpleasant as the bone marrows get used to each other. The donor marrow is the trouble-maker. (If I'm lucky enough to be the donor, I'm gonna have a "good talkin' to" to my marrow so that it will behave!)
  • After the transplant and the 2-3 week period in the hospital, she will probably stay in Atlanta at our house for the month or so afterwards.
  • She will be closely monitored for 2-3 years, but that doesn't mean she can't start livin' her regular life!
  • Here's something interesting! The (doctor) son of Laura's friend, Ann Pritchard, will be sitting in with her doctor (Dr. Amelia Langston)... just kind of keeping in touch with what's goin' on with her.
  • Dr. Langston compared this huge undertaking to mountain climbing... When you start out on your journey, the mountain looks so monstrous and it may seem impossible. But, the way you climb a mountain is one step at a time. And, that's how we're all gonna get through this journey, too.

This afternoon, Laura and the girls are going to go to the mountains with Mrs. Cannon for a few days. See some leaves. Eat some apples. Rest. ♥

Thanks for your continued prayers.

For those of you who might be having trouble posting a comment, please see October 13th entry for help.

6 comments:

Marcia said...

I'm so glad that you have this site to follow your care. I didn't get to see you when we were down this time. Anita and Aaron and Bill all had bad colds and we didn't want to infect you. I am keeping you in my thoughts daily. This is not an easy trip for you or your family. Please know how loved you are by so many many people. I'll keep in touch.
Marcia

Sandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra said...

If a strong will, faith, prayer, love and good thoughts are what it takes to climb that mountian then Laura's there!
Knowing Laura...she'll just get on her bike and ride up that mountain admiring the view and taking pictures!
The entire LCHS Family continues to lift the entire family and the medical team up in our prayers. We are here for you.

Unknown said...

From the blog: She will need to be in the best possible physical and emotional condition in order to receive the bone marrow.

From me: I am unable to imagine ANYONE who would be in better physical and emotional condition. Laura, you have such courage, AND such a fantastic attitude. And everyone who has taken spin class will attest to your superb physical condition. You do know you have countless people praying for you, pulling for you? We love you,
Mary

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the continued updates! I was lucky enough to be at Aunt Alberta's yesterday and got to see Laura, Emily and Lisa when they stopped by after leaving Emory. It did my heart so much good to see Laura (and the girls) looking so GREAT! and STRONG! The mountain climbing anaology is perfect for Laura, that's for sure ;) Please keep the updates coming!

Kyle said...

Soda Crackers
by Raymond Carver

You soda crackers! I remember
when I arrived here in the rain,
whipped out and alone.
How we shared the aloneness
and quiet of this house.
And the doubt that held me
from fingers to toes
as I took you out
of your cellophane wrapping
and ate you, meditatively,
at the kitchen table
that first night with cheese,
and mushroom soup. Now,
a month later to the day,
an important part of us
is still here. I'm fine.
And you--I'm proud of you, too.
You're even getting remarked
on in print! Every soda cracker
should be so lucky.
We've done all right for
ourselves. Listen to me.
I never thought
I could go on like this
about soda crackers.
But I tell you
the clear sunshiny
days are here, at last.


You and fam are in my thoughts.
-Kyle