Sunday, November 9, 2008

What's Comin' Up...

What a week this has been -- for Laura and for those who love her. We're thankful that things are in motion and look forward to gettin' that crazy thing out of her body.

On Saturday, Laura and Mary Celeste did lots of things at "Mama's house"... They cleaned things out and they worked in the yard. (Thus, the picture of the beautiful fall leaves.)

They also went for an appointment for a cranial prosthetic. They had fun seeing all the different options and made the most of a less-than-pleasant situation.

This week:

Tuesday at 7:30 a.m. (Eastern) she'll have a PET scan which will determine if the cancer is anywhere else in her body. (I'm praying a major NO! to that one.)

Wednesday at 7:00 a.m. (Eastern) she'll have a MUGA test to determine her heart strength to see if she can handle the chemo. (I'm praying a major YES! to that one.)

Monday the 17th - She'll participate in an education course to help her know what to expect throughout her treatment. She'll also find out the results from all the tests so far.

Laura plans to teach all of this week, too! She's got a busy week as the students prepare for the first annual Top Turkey Award. Top Turkey is a project to raise money for the Food Bank of Lee County. The faculty member or staff member with the most feathers at the end of the project will be titled Top Turkey. Each feather is .50 and represents a can of food.

Our family will gather at our parents' house for Thanksgiving at the end of the month. All of us will be there and we will have a chance to physically be there with Laura. I, personally, can't wait. For those of us far from her, it's been a little difficult. It'll be nice to be close. And, I look forward to laughter, rockin' on the front porch, annoyances, loud, crazy family games, lots of good food, maybe a glass of wine or two, and plain ol' togetherness.

Thank you for your love and support and prayers.

GoFightWin!!

Some of you may wonder how you can post a comment on this blog. Just click the "comments" button below and it'll take you where you need to be.
If you'd like to subscribe to this blog, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "subscribe to: posts" You'll be notified of future updates that way.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

You know we are here for you and are going to keep you PEDALING through it all.LOVE,ANITA

lisa said...

I personally liked the pictures of mom with the blonde wig. Who would have thought she was such a bombshell??

Love you all.

Lacy said...

I miss you terribly, Mrs. K. I miss your kitchen, your daughters, your husband, your gouda cheese, and you especially! I'm sorry to hear that all of this is happening, but you are probably the most badass woman I've ever known, and I know you will be fine. Can I say badass on here? Oooops.

Harvey Chute said...

Was that Thelma and Louise in those wig pictures? :)

Unknown said...

Great update, Carrie! We're all very excited about Thanksgiving and seeing everyone. I'm so impressed with Laura and Mary making the best of such a tough situation. And, Lacy, we haven't met, but yes, I reckon it's okay to say b-a-d-a-s-s on the site, since you're such a fan of Laura's!

G said...

OK... where do I go to slam dunk someone.... This is Laura's Lawrenceburg bridge partner and I haven't slam dunked anyone in a while... Slam dunking cancer would be a great place to start so Laura... I am armed for bear and I am venturing out to earn the title of Laura's cancer slam dunker... Love you all.. your pics I see daily on my computer desk, phone and refrig and they are always a reminder that even though I don't keep the communication lines going.. you are all always in my heart!!!

Carrie said...

Why do seagulls fly over the sea?

Because if they flew over the bay, they'd be bagels.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,
Hannah and Sarah

Carrie said...

P.S. We really like that blonde wig on you! :-)

G said...

Laura... Reading Carrie's girls jokes reminded me of nights in Ralph Benson gym with Lisa trying hard to stay awake and us reading Laffy Taffy jokes and watching to see if Steve kept his shirt tail tucked in across the way... Love ya.... Mar"G"ie

Zuneamama said...

Thanks everybody for the encouraging notes. I'm ok right now. Actually, I don't even feel like anything is wrong with me except I have to go to a lot of testing. I love the jokes and the shared memories! Keep'em comin! And Margie I still have to check on shirt tails. Love to all. LK

Carrie said...

Remember when I was your secretary?
Love you, Laura!

RhondaP said...

Laura...haha...I am laughing at Lacy's comment that you are a "badass"! I think that moniker fits you to a "T" ! From now on, will be known as the BADASS woman who will GoFightWin this competition against this "Unwelcome
Invader"! We will all "have your back"! There in NO WAY that anything-anywhere-anytime can beat you! YES! (I am fired up, aren't I! haha) Love ya like a sistah...(That's the Southern way English teachers SPEAK in the South...haha...not really...!)
Rhonda

Unknown said...

Laura,
I am remembering all the great times my Laura has had in your home with you and your family. Also special in my memory is bunking with you on the drama planning trip. You are in our thoughts and prayers. I pray that that positive attitude that you have always shown will continue to serve you well.
Anne Pate