Monday, May 16, 2011


What am I GRATEFUL for?!!! I'll TELL you what I'm grateful for!!

I'm grateful for my sister, Laura!! I'm grateful for the donor that gave her hope!! I'm grateful for the doctors that have cared for her so well over the past few years! I'm grateful for the news she shared with me just a little bit ago!  Which is:
  • They see NO leukemia!
  • She is now "100% donor." The exchange has happened!
  • She still has to receive blood because her blood type hasn't completely changed over. It might take a couple more months for her blood type to change. (She used to be type O positive and will become type A.)
  • Her hematocrit (I don't know what that is) is 29. For the average person the hematocrit is in the low 30's...so she's almost there!
  • No blood was needed this week.
  • She doesn't have to go back to the doctor for two weeks... (which is very good!)
  • In two weeks, they'll make a plan for her to continue check-ups in Albany with her doctors there. And, then, it'll only be every 3-4 weeks. 
  • They told her for the 100 day stage (which is the stage she's in right now), she's "as good as it gets!"
Laura's highlight of the news today was that:
  • SHE CAN RIDE HER BIKE!
Thanks for your prayers and all the love.

Ain't she SOMETHIN'?!

8 comments:

kboards said...

Hooray!

Tobi said...

I just yelled "YAY" at work...

Unknown said...

Miracles DO happen! I feel like I've been holding my breath all this time ;) I have goosebumps and tears...

Love, love, love,
Olivia

kcmellette said...

SUPER NEWS! THis is awesome. I am ready to go for a visit-a bike ride and some gardening. kathy

Tam said...

I have been following this blog after seeing it on Kindleboards. I donated stem cells on March 7 of this year and it is nearing the 3 month mark. I pray for the man who received my stem cells every day, and I also pray for Laura. It is so good to read that she is doing so well now - I know it has been a long hard journey for her, with more time to go till she is fully recovered.

I wanted to tell you a little about my experience so you can know how it might have been for Laura's donor. (I may have commented earlier - can't remember and can't find it so forgive me if I have said all this already.) I had so little discomfort during my donation procedure that it was nothing. I was able to read (on my kindle!) and watch TV and talk on the phone. It took about 5 hours and all I had to show for it was two tiny little needle marks - one on my right hand and one on my left inside-elbow area. The medicine I took before the donation to stimulate stem cell production only gave me the timiest stiffness in my lower back - no bone pain as some experience. I had low white blood cell count for a week after the donation - then it was up again into a very healthy range.

I will be hosting an information table about the National Marrow Donor Registry next weekend at a local 5K race that benefits victims of cancer. I am hoping that some of the participants will end up joining the registry.

My stem cell donation was one of the most significant experiences of my life. I am so thankful that I had good enough health to be able to do it and I will continue to try to help to get people to sign up for the registry.

I will not be able to hear how my recipient is doing till a year has passed. In the mean time I am glad to be able to keep up on Laura's progress. Thank you for writing this blog!

Zuneamama said...

Thank you Tam for your donation of stem cells. You sharing your experience may help others to decide to donate also. You made it sound like a piece of cake!
As a receipent, I am just so very thankful for people like you! Your unselfish gift has given someone else hope. I sometimes can't believe all this has happened to me. Occassionally, I share my story with someone or hear my doctor's telling me of my progress and I am just amazed at what can be done! I am one lucky person and it is thanks to people like you. Thank you more than you will ever know!
And by the way, I am grateful for my family and friends that give me so many reasons to be encouraged!

Carrie said...

I love that story, Tam! Thanks for sharing -- your story and your donation!
Thankful for so much!!!

Betsy True said...

Great news!

--Betsy from KindleBoards