Sunday, May 31, 2009

How's Laura Doing?

Well, here... let me let HER tell you! :

Ok, here is the best update I can give at this point...

My care has been WONDERFUL, both at the hospital and at home. Family and friends have showered me with prayers of support and acts of kindness. My BFF and little nazi daughter :)have really prevailed almost to the point of too much!!! And then there are my substitute mom's (Mrs. Cannon and Miss Dye) taking care of all sorts of stuff. On top of that Mary, my Atlanta sister, has come down and prepared 5 star meals for us and filled in when Emily wasn't making sure I wasn't over doing something (naturally based on their opinions). Of course, Clif, Lisa, my good buddies Judy, Anita, Claire, Debbie, and countless others have been very attentive. One thing for sure, hunger has not been an issue at 126 Linden Road nor have beautiful flower arrangements to cheer me up even more! From the phone, the mail, and the internet the attention has also been overwhelming! Aunt Alberta serves as my telephone nurse while everybody checks in with Steve or Em. Last night and the day before some of my students called...thank you very much Marina and Veronica! I can't even express in words the feelings I have for all of you! What a blessing you all are!

Medically speaking here is the low down...minimum pain, still a hoarseness in my voice, back on the coumadin, more shots of Lovenox in my stomach given by myself, limited right arm use, and the most annoying side effect...the numbness in my right hand! Dr. Aderhold, the surgeon says it will go away but it is not happening very fast from my stand point. So what that means is that I can not use the regular typing hand positions to post this poorly worded info...it is hunt and peck for now...sorry, Sandra and business ed at LCHS:(
To all of you THANK YOU!
Love, LK

And now, a word from Emily:

In terms of how I think things are going here: Mama seems to want to do everything right away. She is doing surprisingly well two days after surgery, but I think she needs to take it slower--AS USUAL! Mama always wants to go go go. But the doctor said to pace herself--so I'm trying to make sure she does. This is no easy task. For this--I have become--the "nazi nurse." I gladly accept the title because I know I am being kind by being (to her) cruel.

It is a huge blessing to have incredible spirit and support for my mama coming from so many people, from so many places, in so many forms. God bless all of you.

(That's Mrs. Cannon and Miss Dye checking on Laura's progress at the hospital.)

10 comments:

Deb Bruner said...

Good to hear that you are home and getting back to as normal as is allowed. Tell Emily that I was the 'nazi-nurse' too. Got to be pretty good at checking the nice little drainage bottles and changing bandages. Take care and enjoy all of those meals. Might drop in later in the week.

Renee Collins said...

Wonderful news! I wish you a speedy recovery. You are surrounded by such a wonderful family and great group of friends, you are truly blessed in so many ways. As for the typing, I truly believe all you need are your two thumbs-who needs home row! Love to all!

Zuneamama said...

Yeah, Renee, it was SEVERAL years ago when you made that discovery of the two thumbs...you had busted some little kid for cell phone texting during your class. You are so ahead of the game! One of my problems is my thumb! C'est la vie!

vturner said...

Hello Laura,

Glad hear your surgery went well. I was thinking about and have you in my prayer. It was great to see you at the conference. Just wanted to keep in touch.

Virginia

Deb Bruner said...

Congratulations on being the first GO FIGHT WIN team member to reach the $2300.00 mark. The rest of us have to 'get busy'.. Hope things are going good for you.. Thinking about checking in on you Thursday. I'll be in touch..

bridgepartner said...

So glad to hear you are doing well! Try not to overdo- just enjoy the great food and the great care the Nazi Nurse and others are giving you. Yesterday I test drove a Lincoln and Ford Motors is going to donate $20 to the Susan G. Koman fund. This deal is good until 6/13 or they donate $1,000,000. Maybe Nazi Nurse and others can take a test drive. Details are on Fordmotors.com.
Love,
Sherri

Deb Bruner said...

I did the Ford test drive thing on Monday. Drove a new F150 pickup. They sure drive good. I also got a commitment for a donation and sent the information to them yesterday. Go to www.fordcares.com and print out a certificate to take with you to your local dealership. Test drive any vehicle. I wish I had driven a Mustang.. LOL..

Rene said...

Dear Cuddin' Laura:
So glad to hear that you are Getting Well!!!! Let them pamper you--you deserve it! We continue to keep you and your family in our prayers! Love you, Cuddin' Rene

Rosa said...

Hola, how are you doing, need an update. Always in my thoughts and prayers.

Un abrazo fuerte, Rosa

Zuneamama said...

I'm doing fine. My little Nurse Ratchet just left to go back to California today. I will sure miss her...she's been great! I will get to do more but I'll have to keep in mind my limitations. Steve will forget to remind me; although he is a good caregiver too!
I got to start back spinning last Monday and I have been walking as Emily would let me. The heat is what our problem is right now! Thanks for all the support and prayers. Ttyl, LK