Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Remembering Mama




Laura, as you either know or have heard it said, likes to stay busy.

A while back, she read Julia Child's book called "My Life in France." Laura loved the book. It reminded her of Mama. Not so much because Mama and Julia Child were so much alike, but they both loved food and both knew a lot about how to prepare it. Reading the book, for Laura, was (is) inspirational.

So... she started to learn more about Julia Child. Someone gave her videos of Julia Child's old cooking shows. She began to experiment with recipes. And, she started going through Mama's recipe box.

The other day, she made a quiche from Julia Child's cookbook. She made the crust for the quiche and said it was the best she's ever had.

Yesterday, she made a cheese soufflé. She said everyone loved it. And, everyone was seated at the table when it came out of the oven so that it would still be "poofy" when it was served.

She's been making Mama's whole wheat bread recipe lately, too.

Though all the cooking wears her out, she finds it very rewarding and satisfying. It's been a fun way to stay busy, learn new things and to remember Mama.

5 comments:

Rosa said...

Wow,just reading what all Laura's been cooking has made me very hungry! I love how the house smells when baking bread. Years ago my sister Hilda came home for a visit and made bread. She ended up having to make several loaves because everytime one came out, all of us would run in the kitchen, eat it, then leave! What I remember the most was the wonderful aroma in the house, forget scented candles, bake bread!

Un abrazo fuerte, Rosa

G said...

Laura... I have momma's recipe box too. Most of her cards are handwritten and stained from being laid on the kitchen countertop while she was cooking. When I get them out and use one, it is sort of like being in the kitchen with her.. much the same as working in the rose bushes but without the thorns.... Love you

Zuneamama said...

It has been fun doing this. And you're both right...it leaves a wonderful aroma in the house and it is like my mom being there with me. Just sometimes I need to ask her a question. The shorthand recipes throw me as does trying to find someone to decipher them.
Thanks for posting...it is especially nice to read your comments on days after chemo when I can't do much. I miss you both and you both would be great people to come visit and cook with me. This week, Rosa, when my energy returns, I'm making black beans and rice and "maybe flan" for our spinning group. I don't want to attempt your plantains. Wish y'all could be with us.
lots of love, LK

Rosa said...

I had to post this Laura. My mother was a wonderful cook, Cuban food of course, but Daddy was even better. Neither one of them used a recipe for anything. I would cook with them, ask, how much of this, how much of that, they cooked by taste only and whatever was available. Of course,most dishes start with the sofrito, onions, garlic, bell peppers, olive oil. As for the flan, I learned from my Abuelitico (my grandfather/Mom's Father) watching over me, all the time instructing me in Spanish. We will have to have a Flan cook off! My niece Lea's Flan is the best, but that is our secret!

Un abrazo fuerte, Rosa

Zuneamama said...

Ok, Rosa a throw down if you want...but I will warn you my mom's flan is the best I know of. I will be up for the test just as soon as you say!